News A teachers' show and tell: professional learning unplugged

Discussion in 'News' started by Leanne Morgan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Leanne Morgan

Leanne Morgan Administrator Staff Member

Have you heard of TeachMeets? Do you use Twitter? The article below provides some interesting insights into TeachMeets. It's worth looking into the value of Twitter as a teacher collaboration tool. It's great to follow other educators throughout the world and to learn from their ideas and experience. Have you attended a TeachMeet before? Was it a positive experience for you?

A teachers' show and tell: professional learning unplugged
    By Tony Loughland – Senior Lecturer in Education at University of Sydney
    25 October 2012, 6.34am AEST

It’s been a long time since I have been in a pub at 10.30am but that’s where you would have found me last Saturday at the Great Northern Hotel in Chatswood, Sydney.

I wasn’t there to get on the punt or have a middy of black to settle the hippy shakes but to be part of a teacher professional learning phenomena called TeachMeet. Twenty teachers turned up on a cold, wet Saturday morning to learn from each other in a convivial atmosphere in the back room of a pub in front of the fire.

TeachMeet is a great example of the professional learning networks that teachers are establishing for themselves using online social media applications such as Twitter. These networks are unfunded and a parallel universe away from the mandatory professional development on pupil-free days that most people associate with teacher professional learning.

Read more: http://theconversation.edu.au/a-teachers-show-and-tell-professional-learning-unplugged-8411

Attached Files: