Bringing the invisible web 'closer to the surface'

Discussion in 'News' started by Leanne Morgan, Jun 2, 2018.

  1. Leanne Morgan

    Leanne Morgan Administrator Staff Member

    I've recently started studying a Master of Teacher Librarianship and as part of my studies, I have started a blog. The blog focuses on information literacy and I expect that there will also be some overlap into digital and media literacy. I'll include the first few paragraphs below but if you would like to read more, please go to blog.leanne-morgan.com.

    I love research! I love to share my passion with my teaching colleagues too! In the past, I’ve created and shared how-to videos on research tips and tricks and referencing, provided teacher ‘cheat sheets’ of great background reading and resources for research assignments, co-taught classes which focused on research skills or processes and collaborated with my school’s Director of Professional Learning and lead teacher librarian in the creation of our school-wide Inquiry Learning Research Process. As a teacher, I try to instil a love of research in my students too. This is not always an easy sell to teenagers though.

    A recent school library survey I conducted revealed a clear desire from teachers to know more about teaching research skills, including advanced search options, referencing and online databases. Databases! Databases! Databases! It was mentioned time and time again.

    Databases are comprehensive, searchable, quality controlled, peer reviewed, valuable research support tools which are often not findable via a Google search. Databases are contained in the part of the web known as the invisible, hidden or deep web. Despite my love of research, it came as a surprise to me to learn just recently that only 4% of web pages are indexed (that is, findable via a search engine). The remaining 96% of information is ‘below the surface’.
     

Share This Page