Resource Once by Morris Gleitzman

Leanne Morgan

Administrator
Staff member
Once, Then and Now are three novels by Morris Gleitzman. They tell the story of one boy's attempts to understand the events of World War Two. I have done a novel study on Once a couple of times with Grade Eight English and the students were very engaged throughout. I have attached a couple of resources that I created for the unit.

The first one introduces students to gaps and silences (which I explained before I did the attached activity). The activity encourages creativity. I asked my students to brainstorm in groups then present their ideas in a small play in front of the class.

The Venn diagram activity can be used to help students identify the similarities and differences in the characters Zelda, Barney and Felix. I asked students to draw it into their work books.

The creative written response was the assessment item that I did with my students one year. I have removed the criteria sheet and all identifying details.

The final attachment is probably best used first of these four attachments. It contains images to help explain some of the things mentioned in the book. I discussed these with students to help give them greater understanding of the novel.

Comments and feedback welcome. Has anyone else studied this book or Then/Now with their class? How did your students respond?

Attachments

• Gaps and Silences.pptx
    73.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Venn diagram felix zelda barney.docx
    23.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 8 Once Creative Response.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 74
  • WWII Basics.pptx
    4.7 MB · Views: 82

Leanne Morgan

Administrator
Staff member
Morris Gleitzman has recently released a fourth book in this series called 'After'. I'm reading it at the moment. Has anyone else read the new book or taught any of the above books to students? Did your students find the book/unit interesting?

Leanne Morgan

Administrator
Staff member
No worries! Thanks for the message. I appreciate it! I finished the latest book too. It's as good as all the previous books. Such great books, don't you think?